Regular price $0.00
Regular priceUnit price per
- Plant watermelon from late spring to early summer, once soil temperatures reach 70° F or above.
- Space watermelon 3 to 5 feet apart in nutrient-rich, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0 to 6.8.
- Give plants a fabulous start to the growing season by improving native soil with several inches of aged compost or other rich organic matter.
- Consistent water supply is critical to growing huge flavorful watermelon; install a soaker hose or drip irrigation for best results. Avoid wetting the leaves.
- Watermelons have huge appetites. Keep them well-fed with a continuous supply of nutrients by using a slow-release fertilizer regularly.
- Keep young melons off the ground with a bed of straw.
- Harvest watermelons when they turn from bright to dull green. They should sound hollow when you knock on them.